National Chemical Laboratory
NCL is an Indian federal laboratory in Pune, India and is a constituent member of the Council of Scientific & Industrial Research. The interdisciplinary research centre has a number of division's including, polymer science, organic chemistry, catalysis, materials chemistry, chemical engineering, biochemical sciences and process development. NCL has been a leading source of innovative research for commercial development since its organization in 1949.
- Approximately 200 scientific staff with PhD.
- Excellent infrastructure for measurement science and chemical information.
- About 300 graduate students pursuing research towards doctoral degree; about 50 students awarded Ph.D. degree every year; a strong and young talent pool which renews every few years.
- Publishes the second largest number of papers in chemical sciences (~ 450), files the largest number of patents, both in India (~30) and abroad (~90) and produces the largest number of PhDs in Chemical Sciences in India.
- NCL has 33 people assigned to working on Benefuel's process for triglyceride refining. The team at NCL consists of 14 scientists, many with their PhD's and 19 graduate students and technicians, many of whom have numerous patents and patent applications to their credit.